APPOINTMENT ONLY HOURS:
Monday & Tuesday 10:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
Wednesday & Thursday 8:30 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.
Schedule your CHL and Fingerprint Appointment using our Online Appointment Calendar found at the bottom of the page. If a Fingerprint Appointment is not available within the next 5 business days, please call the office at (503) 366-4651.
Special Hours: (No Appointment Needed -- first-come, first-served during special hours only)
Staffing shortages and a backlog in paperwork and report filing has forced us to curtail extension services out in the county. We will still provide CHL and fingerprinting services on a limited basis to Vernonia and Clatskanie on the following scheduled dates:
Friday August 1: 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. @ CLATSKANIE POLICE DEPARTMENT -- 195 SE 2nd St, Clatskanie, OR
Friday November 7: 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. @ VERNONIA POLICE DEPARTMENT -- 1001 Bridge St, Vernonia, OR
Friday February 6: 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. @ CLATSKANIE POLICE DEPARTMENT -- 195 SE 2nd St, Clatskanie, OR
We will continue to offer the following opportunity
for concealed handgun licensing:
Last Saturday of each month: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. @ The Sheriff's Office -- 901 Port Ave., St. Helens, OR
INFORMATION TO ALL CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSE APPLICANTS
At the time of application to the Sheriff’s Office for processing you will be photographed and fingerprinted, all applicable fees will be collected, and you will be required to present TWO pieces of identification. One piece of identification must be a valid and current picture-identification.
Active military personnel are exempt from personally appearing to process their applications. A copy of your current Oregon Driver License with a Columbia County address, the renewal fee, and a current completed application can be mailed to the Sheriff's Office for processing.
Washington residents may also qualify for CHL through Columbia County if they regularly travel to or through our county. See special instructions below.
Two references are required to complete the CHL application process. Please use NON-RELATED character references. You may download the character reference application then have your references fill out paperwork and return it to our office. The address for returning to us is Columbia County Sheriffs Office, attn: CHL Unit, 901 Port Avenue, St. Helens, OR. 97051.
SAVE CHL PROCESSING TIME: DOWNLOAD REFERENCE LETTER HERE
DOWNLOAD CHL APPLICATION HERE
CHL Fees * These fees are non-refundable and cover the cost of background investigation and processing required by law.
|Type of Application||Total Fee||Details|
Payable to Columbia County Sheriff's Office
$15.00 is applicable to your fingerprint background check
|Renewal Applicant||$50.00 ||Payable to Columbia County Sheriff's Office|
|Transfer Applicant||$30.00 |
Payable to Columbia County Sheriff's Office
You must be fingerprinted to transfer your CHL
|Change of Address||$15.00 ||Payable to Columbia County Sheriff's Office|
|Replacement Card||$15.00 ||Payable to Columbia County Sheriff's Office|
At the time of application, you must be able to demonstrate competence by any of the methods provided by law as follows:
- Completion of any NRA firearms safety or training course, if handgun safety was a component of the course.
- Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private institution, or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the NRA; or law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course.
- Completion of any law enforcement firearm safety or training course offered for security guards, reserve law enforcement officers, investigators, or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course.
- Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service.
- Is licensed, or has been licensed, to carry a firearm in this state, unless license has been revoked.
- Completion of any firearms training or safety course, or class, conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the NRA, if handgun safety was a component of the course.
Applicants must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States or a legal resident alien that can prove his/her intent to apply for citizenship;
- Applicants must be 21 years of age or older
- Applicants' principal place of residence must be in Columbia County (Exceptions to this can include those leasing or renting property in Columbia County and Washington Residents who come to or through Columbia County on a regular basis)
- Applicants must not have any outstanding warrants
- Applicants must be free of any felony convictions
- Applicants must have no misdemeanor convictions or diversion within the last 4 years
- Applicants must not be on any form of pre-trial release
- Applicants must not be prohibited to possess a firearm under any other state or federal law
Additional Conditions for Washington State Residents
- You must have a Washington State Concealed Handgun License to qualify for your Oregon permit. This permit can be used as one piece of identification when applying for your Oregon CHL.
- You must write a letter to Sheriff Dickerson stating why you want an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. Your reasons must be compelling in nature.
- There will be a $10.00 administrative fee for any fingerprinting of Washington residents by the Sheriff's Office for any purpose. The fee is applied to the cost of regular monitoring of criminal histories of Washington residents holding any type of Columbia County licenses or permits through the Sheriff's Office.
YOU MUST PRESENT EACH OF THE FEES AND THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION, OR YOUR APPLICATION WILL NOT BE PROCESSED.
Use our ONLINE APPOINTMENT CALENDAR
A new website will open in a new window or tab.
The information you will be requested to provide is
your name, email, phone number, and appointment date/time.