Access Permits -
Allows the County to monitor and manage access to County, Public and Private Roads. Insures that the access is constructed to County Road Standards and poses no danger to the property owner or the general public.
- Cost $50.00
- Required for:
- Any new road, driveway or access connecting to a county, public or private road.
- Any construction requiring a building permit.
- New development of property.
*Applicants must come to Road Department office and pick up an access location stake and place at location of access.
Process (See Road Access Specifications for more details)
- Applicant fills out an access permit and submits it to the Road Department along with $50.00 (Check or exact change).
- Applicant places an access location stake (supplied by the Road Department) at location of access.
- Road Department inspects location of access within ten (10) working days of receipt of access permit application and $50.00 fee. Inspector determines if site meets standards and sets other conditions if any.
- Applicant receives a copy of the access permit in the mail with one (1) signature from the Road Department, approving the commencement of road access construction.
- Applicant may choose to place a $500.00 deposit with the Treasurers office in the courthouse in order to receive a building permit from Land Development Services before constructing road access. Deposit will be returned upon completion of access permit requirements.
- Once road access construction is complete, applicant informs Road Department. Road Department will inspect approach for compliance with permit within ten (10) working days.
- If all permit conditions have been met, applicant will be mailed a copy of the access permit with a second signature from the Road Department certifying approved access construction. A copy will be sent to Columbia County Land Development Services.
Note: Land Development Services will not issue a final occupancy until applicant has a completed access permit. Applicant has (2) two years from date of issuance to complete access construction. The $500.00 deposit may be forfeited if the access is not completed in that time period.
View Road Access Permit (PDF)
Public Road Application and Construction Permit -
Allows the County to monitor any construction that is within the Road Right Of Way. Usually used by Utility Companies and Property Owners when performing construction or access improvements within the road right-of-way.
- Cost $0
- Required for: - Any construction within the road right of way.
View Construction Permit (PDF)
Special Transportation and Hauling Permit -
Allows the County to monitor and control heavy traffic on county roads with weight and size restrictions.
- Cost $0
- Required for: - Any hauling of loads on county roads heavier than 80,000 lbs or the maximum allowable load per the road restrictions set by the Columbia County Road Department or on any road requiring a special permit. See Road Restrictions page for more information. Not required if also receiving a single trip permit through ODOT Motor Carrier Division.
NOTE: This is not the permit used for roads restricted under Board Order 101-2007 (see below)
Single Trip Permit -
Allows the County to monitor and control one time traffic that is oversized or overweight. Permits issued by ODOT. See information below.
- Cost (Contact ODOT Motor Carrier Division)
- Required for: - Any load over 80,000 lbs., 8 ft. wide, 10 ft. high, or 65 ft. long
Please follow this link for more information: ODOT Over-dimensional Permits
Special Haul Permit for Order No. 101-2007 -
Allows the County to monitor and control heavy traffic on county roads with special weight restrictions identified in Board Order No. 101-2007. Permit is only required if hauling above 75% of legal axle weights.
- Hauling in June, July, August, & September: Cost $7.00
- Hauling in months other than June, July, August & September: Cost $7.00 plus $5.00 per mile or $1.00 per Thousand Board Feet per mile for log hauling. No per mile fee added for deliveries of materials when destination is on the restricted road.
The following roads currently have restrictions that require a permit issued under order 101-2007.
- Alder Creek Rd.
- Barker Rd.
- Chapman Rd.
- Chapman Grange Rd.
- Elk Creek Rd.
- Holaday Rd.
- Johnson Rd.
- Lentz Rd.
- McDermott Rd.
- Pisgah Home Rd.
- Shepard Rd. (From Delena-Mayger Rd to end of pavement)
- Tide Creek Rd. (From Nicolai Rd to Orr Rd.)